President Vladimir Putin is one of the presidents of this century who is considered the most respected and most feared. But behind it all Russian Presidents Vladimir Putin has more unique characteristics and facts than previous Russian Presidents. What is that?
Here are five facts that are rarely known about Putin.
1. Animal lover As Russia’s leader, Putin is often faced with strategic global political issues that often involve the United States and other major countries. However, behind his controversial figure, Putin is an animal lover. He has a Bulgarian shepherd dog named Buffy. The dog’s name was chosen in a national contest, which was followed by Russian residents. Putin also has an Akita Inu dog named Yume. In October 2017, Putin met with Turkmenistan’s President Gurbanguly Berdymukhammedov to improve bilateral relations. On that occasion, Berdymukhammedov brought an Alabai puppy. Putin immediately lifted and carried her. He seemed to smile and give a kiss on the puppy’s head.
2. Playing the piano Not only experts in the field of sports but Putin apparently also loves art. Putin often plays his fingers on the piano keys. In 2010, he showed his ability at a charity event in St. Peterburg before singing a song from Fat Domino entitled “Blueberry Hill”. Putin’s spokesman said the president had to take an English course to learn the lyrics of the song. Last year, a video of Putin playing the piano became popular in Beijing. While waiting for a meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping, Putin was recorded sitting in front of the piano while playing the keys in a song by Vasily Solovyov-Sedoi entitled “Evening Song” and “Moscow Windows” by Tikhon Khrennikov.
3. Riding a bear? Putin had driven a Formula 1 car, conducted paragliding, liked martial arts, and carried out all activities that tested men’s courage. Then, there was also a photo of Putin riding a bear. Wait a minute. The picture turned out to be not the original photo, but the edits. Putin actually rode a horse in the mountains of the Tyva region, Siberia, while enjoying a vacation in August 2009. Putin’s vacation at that time was not spent on a tour enjoying the city, food, and amusement parks. Wearing army pants, he swam in the deepest lake in Siberia, camped, and climbed mountains.
4. Putin is not proficient in English Putin is not proficient in English. In addition to the Russian mother tongue, Putin is better at German than English. Putin often chooses to use German when visiting a country that uses that language. He even uses German for official events. When asked about what language he mastered, Putin always answered simply. “In Russia, I can speak German, and I can only speak a little in English,” he said.
5. Putin’s black belt Judo is a lover of judo martial arts. His mother disagreed with his decision to start studying Judo at the age of 11. However, Putin got his black belt in Judo in 2001. Not only that, Putin was also ranked 9th in taekwondo in 2013 and black belt in karate in 2014. Putin never stopped practicing martial arts from the age of 13 to 14 years. In September 2006, he became the honorary president of the European Judo Union and, in 2010, received an honorary doctorate in Judo from Yong In University in South Korea. Putin also won the double title at Sambo in St. Petersburg and the Sambo sports master.